Job post opportunity at Mwanza Intervention Trial Unit (MITU) December 2022
Job post opportunity at Mwanza Intervention Trial Unit (MITU)
The Mwanza Intervention Trial Unit (MITU) is a collaborative research Unit based at the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) campus in Mwanza, Tanzania. The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against HIV and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials to the highest international standards; to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania, and the East African Region; and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy.
MITU is now working to implement several vaccination trials in Tanzania, involving both HPV and COVID vaccines. These are randomized clinical trial to assess the safety and protectiveness of these vaccines. MITU is now inviting application from suitably qualified candidates with vaccination experience for the following position:
MITU is now inviting application from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Position: Pharmacist (multiple positions)
The post-holder will work across trials, working closely with the trial Principal Investigators and coordinating teams to operationalise the trials.
- To ensure proper preparation, handling, cold chain maintenance and storage of vaccines according to the study protocol, standard operating procedures and Good Clinical Practice.
- To manage temperature monitoring and deal with temperature out of range (TOR) events.
- To perform dispensing and accurate, timely accountability of study vaccines and provide reports as needed to the study investigators, sponsor, monitors or regulatory authority.
- To ensure that all pharmacy-related activities are implemented according to the study protocol and good clinical practice.
- To ensure compliance with all aspects of pharmaco-vigilance for the clinical trial, including liaison with the regulatory authorities where required.
- To prepare and update trial pharmacy manuals, standard operating procedures and tally sheets for vaccine handling, vaccine accountability and other tasks as required in conjunction with the trial sponsor, investigators and trial manager.
- To ensure correct pharmacy waste disposal procedures are in place and to organise and supervise disposal of unused or expired vaccines and drugs when required.
- To stocktake and ensure other medications prescribed by study clinicians for study participants are stored and dispensed appropriately.
- To assist with maintenance of the trial Investigator Site File/Trial Master File when required.
- To report to the trial manager and study investigators, work with the wider clinical trial team and attend team meetings.
- To report any incident which may affect the integrity of the trial to the trial manager and deputy trial manager and PI.
- To attend project meetings and phone calls.
- To perform any other trial-related activity as may be requested by members of the trial management team.
- A degree in pharmacy from a recognized University.
- At least two years practical working experience as a pharmacist.
- Experience in pharmacy activities for clinical research studies.
- Experience in vaccine handling, maintenance of cold chain and managing temperature excursions.
- Excellent numeracy skills and attention to detail.
- Computer literacy including demonstrable proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to work outside of normal working hours on occasions as the work demands.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Strong organisational skills with proven ability to work effectively within a team, assess priorities and manage workload with minimum supervision.
- Substantial experience in clinical trials or other clinical research, particularly studies/trials of vaccines.
- Previous GCP training.
- Experience in applying pharmaceutical regulatory and safety requirements.
- Experience of communicating or liaising with the Tanzanian regulatory authority for clinical trials.
Mode of application and requirements
- Interested applicants should submit a letter of application together with their CV and copies of all relevant certificates to [email protected] no later than 13 January 2023.
- The applicants should clearly state the job title for which they are applying in the subject line of the email.
- All attached documents should be saved using the candidate’s name.
- Applicants should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted.
- Applicants without suitable qualifications/registration or vaccination experience will not be considered.
Interviews will be held at the earliest available opportunity and only shortlisted candidates will be notified if selected for interview.
MITU is an equal opportunities organization. Female applicants and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.